Pinterest is an excellent social media platform to use for growing your business and increasing your sales. It reaches over 400 million users per month!! Yes, read that again… we said 400 million! Pinterest has an extremely high amount of monthly traffic and this is just one of its benefits for your business. To be successful on the platform, you need to understand one core principle: Pinterest is a search engine, which means that anything you post there should be searchable. Keywords are the backbone of any successful marketing strategy, and that’s especially the case on Pinterest. They’re what make you visible in searches, so users can find all your great content with just a few words. The Pinterest search function works just like Google, so you need to use keyword research to rank highly. We’re here to show you how!
WHAT ARE KEYWORDS AND WHERE TO PUT THEM?
Keywords are words or phrases that describe your content. They’re what searchers type into a search engine to find what they’re looking for. You should include them in your profile, board and Pin descriptions, Pin titles, and alt text. If you have great products, but nobody can find them, then all the time you’ve spent on social media is wasted! So let’s go over a few tips that will help you master Pinterest search engine optimization.
Best Pinterest keyword research Methods
1. PINTEREST SEARCH BAR
This is the easiest and the most popular research method. To find keywords, search in the Pinterest search bar for a keyword relevant to your pin and look at all the related and more specific keywords suggested by Pinterest. This will give you an indication of which phrases people are using to search for topics related to your content. You can start very broad and Pinterest will automatically recommend some long-tail keywords for you. Convenient, right?
2. PINTEREST AD CREATOR
You can only access this tool if you have a Pinterest business account, but we think it’s worth it to get involved here. The big advantage of using the Pinterest Ad Creator is that you can see Pinterest keyword volume, which can help you discover which keywords are the most popular. Pinterest does not only show which results are the most relevant for your search, it also suggests related topics and other items that might be of interest.
How to find Pinterest Ad Creator:
- Go to your Business Hub and click on the Ads tab at the top of the page.
- Click Create Ad.
- Choose the objective, scroll down and click on Continue (don’t worry, you don’t need to start running any ads, these are necessary steps to take to access the keyword research tool).
- Select Choose Your Own in the Targeting details section.
- Scroll down until you see the Interests & Keywords section.
- Put your keyword in the search bar.
3. PINTEREST TRENDS
This feature is accessible only for users who have a business account. This is a new tool that Pinterest has just launched, and we love it! What’s impressive about this method is that it doesn’t only suggest related terms but also displays the search’s overall trending data. This feature shows how popular a topic is at different times of the year. Helping you decide when you should post a specific type of content to make sure you hit the peak seasonal search volume!
How to access Pinterest Trends:
- Go to your Business Hub and click on Analytics at the top of the page.
- Select Trends.
- Enter your keyword in the search bar.
And now, the cherry on the cake! This method lets us compare different keywords with each other. To access it type another keyword in the search bar or select one of the terms suggested by Pinterest from the list on the bottom.
Pinterest keyword research bonus tips
- Do keyword research before creating new content. It will give you a better understanding of what kind of content people are searching for and help you find new content ideas.
- The more keywords you use, the better. That’s how you’re making your Pins easy to find.
- Use long-tail keywords. It makes it easier to rank high on search pages because there is less competition for those phrases. For example, instead of using keywords like “social media” or “personal brand”, use “use social media for business” or “how to brand yourself”.
- To fully optimize your Pins include keywords on your designs and in your file names.
- Get inspired by Google Search Trends. Most of the time, what is trending on Google is also trending on Pinterest. If you see trending topics that relate to your niche, go ahead and create content that aligns with it.
- Pinterest, just like any other social media platform, is constantly evolving. To stay up-to-date with all of the new changes we recommend taking a look at these resources every once in a while: Pinterest Business and Pinterest Best Practices. There is no better place to look for information than the source itself.
How we can help?
Take a look at these statistics. We bet you think that success doesn’t happen overnight, right?
Well, these numbers actually happened over just one night of concentrated Pinterest strategy implementation. We’ve done intense keyword research and optimized all of our client’s old Pins and their profile. The results speak for themselves. If, after reading this article, you still feel like you need help with growing your Pinterest account, don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’d be happy to help you shine light on your brand and get your work pinned to every board your target audience creates!